Press Release (ePRNews.com) - LANCASTER, England - May 02, 2017 - Which environments are covered by the ATEX Regulations?
The ATEX Regulations apply to workplaces where flammable substances are stored or used. For instance: factories where flammable liquids are present, or where flammable dusts or particles are produced during production.
Specific applications include: chemical processing, spraying paints or varnishes, LPF storage and filling, milk drying, flour production etc.
An explosive atmosphere is an accumulation of gas, mist, dust or vapour, mixed with air that has the potential to result in an explosion. If this catches fire, the flames would quickly travel through it. If this happens in a confined space, such as in a plant or weighing/QC equipment area, the rapid speed of the flames, or rise in pressure, could cause an explosion of serious proportions.
Highly flammable, potentially explosive and/or volatile substances can be found in most industrial workplaces these days, hence ATEX-approved scale equipment is recommended.
What employers are required to do
The ATEX Regulations clarify the requirements to manage fire, explosion risks, and imposes duties on employers. These are to:
• Carry out regular risk assessments of any work activities involving flammable substances.
• Record the findings of these risk assessments.
• Provide technical or organisational measures, to reduce the risk of explosions (as set out in Schedule 2 of the Regulations).
• Provide training to workers who work in places where explosive atmospheres may occur.
• Classify places (according to Schedule 1 of the Regulations), where explosive atmospheres may occur, in to zones.
• Select and provide suitable equipment for use in these zones.
• Equipment must be CE-Marked and in compliance with S.1.83 of 1999 (the ATEX PRODUCT Regulations).
ATEX-Approved Weighing Scales by Abacus Weighing Services
Abacus Weighing Services is a leading supplier of the Dini Argeo range of ATEX weighing equipment, along with full accessories.
Are you interested in finding out more about our ATEX industrial weighing scales? We have a broad knowledge of different brands and solutions and specialise in Dini Argeo equipment. Call Mel or Chris on t: 0161 799 7131, or visit us online at www.abacusweighing.co.uk (http://www.abacusweighing.co.uk/)
Abacus Weighing Services