Press Release (ePRNews.com) - MANASSAS, Va. - May 24, 2021 - Cor-Tuf®️ UHPC, the exclusive licensed producer of Cor-Tuf Ultra High Performance Concrete (UHPC) in the United States and the world, is the ideal solution for the Federal Government’s proposed $2 trillion plan to rehabilitate and upgrade the American infrastructure. And, thanks to its latest innovation—a UHPC mobile batch plant—Cor-Tuf UHPC can now be used anywhere and everywhere, without any special considerations or accommodations.
The need for more investment in the country’s infrastructure is quite evident. In its 2021 Bridge Conditions Report, the American Road & Transportation Builders Association (ARTBA) discovered the sad state of America’s bridges. Highlights from the report include the following data:
- 36% of U.S. bridges (220,000) are in need of repair.
- 79,500 bridges need to be replaced.
- More than 45,000 bridges are classified as “structurally deficient” due to their poor condition.
- The estimated cost to repair the 45,000 structurally deficient bridges is $41.8 billion.
- At the current pace of work, it would take almost 40 years to repair just the 45,000 structurally deficient bridges.
- Almost one-third (17,643) of interstate highway bridges are in need of repair.
The states with the most bridges in poor condition as a percentage of their total bridge inventory are:
- West Virginia (21%)
- Iowa (19.1%)
- Rhode Island (19%)
- South Dakota (17.7%)
- Pennsylvania (14.6%)
- Maine (12.7%)
- Louisiana (12.7%)
- Puerto Rico (12.2%)
- Michigan (10.8%)
- North Dakota (10.3%)
The American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials now requires new bridges to be designed with a service life of 75 years or more, so bridge engineers and contractors have been turning to UHPC. The proprietary Cor-Tuf UHPC mix more than makes the grade.
Cor-Tuf UHPC delivers exceptional strength. Compressive strength can reach 50,000 psi for some mixes (compared to 2,500 to 5,000 psi for traditional concrete). Flexural strength can surpass 2,000 psi, whereas traditional concrete only delivers 400 to 700 psi. Cor-Tuf UHPC also has a 100-year product lifespan, surpassing the new 75-year service-life requirement.
Cor-Tuf UHPC is:
- Pourable, pumpable, and sprayable.
- Moisture-resistant/impervious to water.
- Resistant to environmental degradation.
- Blast- and impact-resistant.
- Extremely adhesive (delivering a stronger bond).
Cor-Tuf UHPC can also be mixed and transported with conventional concrete equipment. It can be implemented on a job without any special tools or training required. The new mobile batch plant makes it even easier to work Cor-Tuf UHPC into the regular rhythm of any contracting situation, including the production of batch tickets.
Cor-Tuf founder and chairman, Douglas Darling, commented, “We can no longer put a Band-Aid on our bridges and roads. We need to fix the issue, once and for all.”
For more information, contact:
Douglas Darling, Founder and Chairman, Cor-Tuf UHPC