Press Release (ePRNews.com) - Syracuse, NY - Aug 10, 2016 - Ahhhh, to curl up in a warm bed and drift peacefully off to “never-never land”. Restful sleep is the cornerstone of good health – a time when our minds and bodies rejuvenate and prepare for the day ahead. Yet, for many people, “catching some zzzzz’s” is easier said than done. According to a recent Gallup pole, nearly half of all Americans have difficulty sleeping. And, insomnia costs the country an estimated $92.5 to $107.5 billion each year!
Why do so many people have trouble getting some shut eye? According to many specialists, high stress lifestyles and overloaded schedules are responsible for the current insomnia epidemic.
Doctors of chiropractic help their patients regain balance – not only in their spines (through chiropractic adjustments) but also in their overall lives (through guiding patients toward optimal health and wellness). A balanced life is the best defense against sleeplessness.
Pain: The Sandman’s Worst Enemy Injury – including chronic neck or back problems – can wreak havoc on sleep quality. If you’re tossing and turning in an attempt to quell pain, it’s time to see a doctor or chiropractor. Chiropractic adjustments can alleviate your aches and prevent them from recurring. Don’t cheat yourself out of one more night of restful sleep by putting off chiropractic care another day!
The Dangers of Sleeping Pills Both over-the-counter sleep aids like Nytol and Sominex, as well as prescription sleeping pills like Valium, Restoril and Seconal, may produce serious side effects – including chemical addiction, memory loss, mental confusion an stomach problems. Mental impairment is just one of the many well-documented side effects of this class of medication. In fact, people who take benzodiazepines double their risk of being involved in a motor vehicle accident (Canadian Family Physician 1998; (44) 799-808). Although benzodiazepines are meant to aid sleep, they actually appear to disturb a crucial stage of sleep: REM (rapid eye movement) (Psychiatry Clinics in Neuroscience 1998 (52) 327-332). Quality REM sleep is vital to achieving peak daytime performance, learning and memory. And, if you aren’t convinced yet that benzodiazepines can be harmful, here’s one more thing to consider; these drugs may actually damage your bones! Benzodiazepines are associated with an increased risk of osteoporosis-related hip fractures (New England Journal of Medicine 1995 (332) 767-773).
Natural Remedies for Sleeplessness
- Exercise every day – even a short walk will help balance your body chemistry, in turn, promoting normal sleep patterns.
- Maintain a regular sleep schedule, and don’t stray from it – even on the weekends.
- Explore stress-reduction techniques, including meditation, breathing exercises, guided imagery and biofeedback. Indulging in a warm bath immediately prior to bedtime can be especially soothing.
- Develop a stress-reduction plan. On a piece of paper, list those aspects of your life that produce the most anxiety and write down strategies for cutting stress.
- Don’t watch television, read, eat or work in bed.
- If you smoke – Quit.
- Only nap if it is part of your regular routine.
- Eliminate intake of refined sugars and caffeine.
- Don’t drink alcohol within three to four hours of bedtime.
- Get regular Chiropractic care to help relieve stress and maintain optimal spine and central nerve system health.
Dr. Joseph Borio and Borio Chiropractic Health Center’s (BCHC) purpose is to educate and adjust families toward optimal health with natural chiropractic care.
Borio Chiropractic Health Center
Dr Joe Borio
firstname.lastname@example.org Source :
Borio Chiropractic Health Center