Press Release (ePRNews.com) - PARIS, France - Jan 05, 2016 - Technicolor (Euronext Paris: TCH, OTCQX- TCLRY) announced at the CES 2016 conference being held this week in Las Vegas a series of initiatives that accelerate the broad availability of high dynamic range (HDR) and other next generation entertainment experiences. Technicolor’s presence in the show illustrates the importance of harnessing open innovation and industry-wide collaboration to bring the most exciting and immersive experiences to market, while protecting existing investments consumers have made in devices and customer premises equipment.
Technicolor unveiled a strategic initiative with LG Electronics to collaborate on delivering new content experiences to the home that meet the new UHD Alliance content and display specifications and push the boundaries of video imaging. Early elements of the expanded Technicolor-LG collaboration are on display for the first time this week at CES® 2016. The two companies will screen never-before-seen HDR-graded content from iconic and multi-Oscar award winning writer/director/producer Francis Ford Coppola.
Technicolor also announced an agreement with Royal Philips to merge their ongoing delivery roadmaps for HDR solutions, including content creation tools, encoding and decoding software and implementation support. As a result of this collaboration, Technicolor and Philips will offer a unique, best-in-class proposition to the market that allows HDR delivery, with full backwards compatibility to Standard Dynamic Range displays. This will simplify HDR deployments for distributors who will be able to send one signal to all of their customers, regardless of which TV they have. Their networks will be future proof as consumers upgrade to HDR displays over the next few years.
Technicolor revealed that leading TV and Set-Top Box (STB) System-on-Chip (SoC) manufacturers are integrating Technicolor’s HDR Decoder technology into their offerings. The SoC companies include: Marvell, MSTAR, Sigma and STMicroelectronics. The adoption of Technicolor’s technology by SoC makers, who represent the lion’s share of the market, paves the way for consumer electronics manufacturers to integrate Technicolor’s suite of HDR enhancement technologies into their 2016 devices. It will allow consumers to access the wave of next-generation content that will become available starting this year.
Technicolor also announced the availability of the “Technicolor HDR Intelligent Tone Management (ITM)” solution for silicon. Consumer equipment (CE) devices that feature SoCs containing “Technicolor HDR ITM” capabilities will be able to automatically up-convert all legacy SDR content to powerful High Dynamic Range images on their new HDR devices. Technicolor HDR ITM unlocks millions of hours of movies, TV shows, video games, home videos and photos by adding contrast, wide color palette, realistic highlights and deep shadow details of native HDR content. The solution is based on the Technicolor Hollywood production technology that was honored with the 2015 Lumière Award from the Advanced Imaging Society for “outstanding technologies that advance the entertainment industry.”
Beyond these major news announcements, Technicolor’s CES 2016 show floor presence — Las Vegas Convention Center Booth #8632, Tech East, Central Hall — offers attendees a window into how Technicolor is advancing the experiences that have ushered in a new era of awe in the media and entertainment sector. Visitors will have an opportunity to learn how:
• Makers of major motion pictures like Spectre, Iron Man, Gravity, Birdman, The Revenant, and Disney’s upcoming film The Jungle Book count on collaboration with Technicolor colorists, sound mixers, visual effects (VFX) artists, animators and others to tell amazing stories.
• Technicolor is developing and producing immersive content across industries — for applications in Advertising, Feature films, Gaming and Architectural Visualization — to create original and unique VR/AR experiences that are transforming storytelling, next generation entertainment and digital life experiences.
• Owners of archived content work with Technicolor scientists and engineers to breathe new life into libraries of existing stories to meet the expectations of an increasingly demanding and discerning global audience of consumers.
• Technologies like 4K UHD, high dynamic range, wide color gamut and high frame rates are being developed by Technicolor to create opportunities for artists to connect with audiences in new and exciting ways.
• Technicolor is working on every platform – including smartphones, tablets, laptops, PCs and TVs – to bring consumers an optimum and enhanced experience at home and on-the-go.
• New innovations in “home gateway” and “set-top box” technologies from Technicolor integrate connected home and digital life environments in an intuitive manner.
• Technicolor is creating the ultimate future-proofed storage format by harnessing the power and efficiency of deoxyribonucleic acid – better known as: DNA.
Technicolor, a worldwide technology leader in the media and entertainment sector, is at the forefront of digital innovation. Our world class research and innovation laboratories enable us to lead the market in delivering advanced video services to content creators and distributors. We also benefit from an extensive intellectual property portfolio focused on imaging and sound technologies. Our commitment: supporting the delivery of exciting new experiences for consumers in theaters, homes and on-the-go.
www.technicolor.com – Follow us: @Technicolor – linkedin.com/company/technicolor
Technicolor shares are on the NYSE Euronext Paris exchange (TCH) and traded in the USA on the OTCQX marketplace .
Lane Cooper: +1 415 646 6592
Investor Relations Source :
Emilie Megel: +33 1 41 86 61 48
Laurent Sfaxi: +33 1 41 86 58 83
Business Info : BizTechReports