Press Release (ePRNews.com) - TORONTO - Apr 12, 2016 - Fun for the entire family, Gangways Open on Toronto’s Waterfront presented by The Waterfront BIA, is part of the 17th annual Doors Open Toronto presented by Great Gulf, on Saturday, May 28 and Sunday, May 29 from 10am until 6pm along the Waterfront. This year’s Doors Open Toronto 2016 theme is Re-used, Re-visited and Revised and explores the adaptive re-use of buildings throughout Toronto’s architectural history. Visit waterfrontbia.com for more information.
“Through Gangways Open on Toronto’s Waterfront, visitors can see and experience the excitement of the Waterfront,” states Carol Jolly, Executive Director, The Waterfront BIA. “Tour the numerous ships docked along the water’s edge, browse through the carefully curated Waterfront Artisan Market, enjoy some tasty treats at Spring Samplings and learn about Toronto’s historic Waterfront at the Toronto on the Water digital exhibit. Look out for pirates as they make their way along the Waterfront, you never know where they will turn up!”
Some of the highlights of Gangways Open on Toronto’s Waterfront include:
· NEW this year, discover over 50 top artisans, crafters, chefs and bakers at the Waterfront Artisan Market, Toronto’s new Waterfront open-air market!
· Enjoy samples from 11 local businesses ranging from refreshing drinks and sliders to gelato and red lentil soup with Spring Samplings.
· Check out our many performing artists all along Toronto’s Waterfront.
· Now in digital format, the visually stunning Toronto on the Water historical photo exhibit featuring over 100 archival images of Toronto’s historic Waterfront, returns in Queen’s Quay Terminal and Purina PawsWay.
· Take advantage of 2-for-1 paddleboat rides on the Natrel Pond at Harbourfront Centre.
· Have your picture taken with pirates as they invade the Waterfront.
· See the William Lyon Mackenzie Fire Boat in action andtourthe Toronto Fire and Marine Station 334 and the Toronto Police Marine Unit buildings.
· A wide variety of vessels from Empress of Canada, Great Lakes Schooner Company, Mariposa Cruises, Nautical Adventures and Toronto Brigantine will be open to the public for guided deck tours.
· Meet Captain Liam Fraser and the crew aboard Tall Ships Pathfinder and Playfair, and learn how to tie traditional knots from the experts.
· Organized tours on board the Captain Matthew Flinders and the Northern Spirit will include a trip through the wheelhouse where Captains will be available to answer questions, subject to availability.
About Doors Open Toronto:
Since its inception in 2000, Doors Open Toronto has attracted more than two million visits to nearly 700 unique locations across the city. It is Canada’s largest Doors Open event and one of the three largest Doors Open events in the world. Doors Open Toronto is dedicated to built heritage, architecture and design. It is presented by Great Gulf and produced by the City of Toronto in partnership with the broader community. Facebook at facebook.com/doorsopenTO, Twitter at @Doors_OpenTO and Instagram at @doors_opento. Event hashtag is: #DOT16.
About The Waterfront BIA:
The Waterfront Business Improvement Area (WBIA), established in 2004, is the voice of the business community. Toronto’s WBIA is a community-driven organization dedicated to promoting and enhancing the economic and cultural vitality of the Waterfront area. The WBIA welcomes 17 million visitors annually with a service area population of 57,121 and growing rapidly. 68% of the area’s residents are under the age of 45, and the average household income is $118,924. Unlike most Toronto BIAs, the Waterfront is both a full-service residential area and a tourist destination, committed to improving the Waterfront area and new pedestrian-friendly promenade. The Waterfront ranks second in every visitor category – domestic and international; pleasure and business, first-time and repeat. Through marketing and promotion, special events, streetscape enhancement, strategic planning and advocacy initiatives, the WBIA continues to secure its position as one of Toronto’s premier shopping, business and entertainment destinations. Annual programs include Doors/Gangways Open, Waterfront Artisan Market, Redpath Waterfront Festival, Waterfront Singing Ambassadors and Winterfest on Toronto’s Waterfront. The Waterfront BIA has been the proud recipient of the Toronto Association of Business Improvement Areas (TABIA) Awards in 2011, 2013, 2014 and 2015, as well as the 2015 Downtown Merit Award from the International Downtown Association (IDA) and the Award of Distinction from the 2016 BIA National Conference Awards. For more information, visit www.waterfrontbia.com.
– 30 –
For additional information or interview requests, please contact:
Peter Ashworth | Ashley Lloyd, Ashworth Associates Public Relations | 416-603-6005
firstname.lastname@example.org (mailto:email@example.com) | firstname.lastname@example.org Source :